In today's high tech world of computers, the internet, and 4G mobile applications what can
you do when you're frustrated with a program and you just want to start over? Do what I do and "Control-Alt-Delete"
and start all over. While we all admire and encourage those who relentlessly defend their turf against crabgrass, there comes
a time when the best strategy is to give up and "re-boot" your lawn. That time is when your lawn only has 30 to
40 percent desirable grass left in a given area and the rest is lost to crabgrass and other weeds. A total lawn restoration
is all about planning and timing. If you have ever thought about it, now is the time to start planning.
If the majority of your lawn is crabgrass or other weeds and very little desirable grass, Grass Pad's Idiot Proof
Total Lawn Renovation using ERASER® (glyphosate) should start in August. Short days,
cool nights and welcome rain promise lower water bills in September for fall seeding and sodding projects. Homeowners should
take a tip from Mother Nature and start their fall over seeding program today. August is a perfect time to plant grass
- Step 1- Early-August apply Eraser® over entire lawn, using recommended mixing rates. Careful to keep overspray off wanted shrubs
and flowers. (During drought periods, it is recommended to water your lawn 2-3 times the week prior to applying Eraser®.
This will help bring the grass & weeds out of dormancy helping the plant to absorb more herbicide for a better kill.
- Step 2- Wait 7-10 days then rake or mow (with catcher) to remove
heavy clippings or other debris.
3- Verticut and/or core aerate the turf. Verticutting creates slice or grooves in the soil creating the best seed
to soil contact. Core aerating will help relieve soil compaction and eliminate thatch. Prepare
your soil with adequate watering 2-3 days in advance. Soil should be moist, not soggy wet.
- Step 4- Apply Loveland Golf Course
Starter™ (small lawns) or Loveland Renovator™
- Step 5- Spread
the Grass Pad seed of your choice with a rotary or a hand cranked spreader.
- Step 6- On bare spots apply a light top dressing of PrimeraFC seed dressing. DO NOT USE STRAW or TOPSOIL! They both contain weed seeds.
- Step 7- Water lightly so the soil surface is moist. Continue
watering lightly, daily as needed, so the soil does not become hard or baked.
- Step 8- When the seedling reach a height of 3-4 inches, mow to a height of 3 inches
with a sharp mower at a time when the grass is not wet.
- Step 9- Reapply Loveland Golf Course Starter™ or Loveland Renovator™ after 4 weeks.
- Step 10- to promote deep roots apply Loveland Snowman® to seeded area in late Fall. (Oct/Nov)